Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jellyfish

I think I have hit new heights in adventurous foods. The other night, Adam's intercultural communication class went on a "field trip" to a Chinese seafood restaurant downtown for dinner instead of regular night class. The professor, who is also Chinese, invited everyone to bring their spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends, so I went along. We dined family-style so everyone could try a little bit of everything, and the professor chose a few dishes that were a bit more unusual so we could try those, too.

Well, one of the dishes she ordered for us was a jellyfish, shrimp, and asparagus stir-fry. Jellyfish! It looked fairly tasty-- it was kind of translucent and ruffly-looking, and I do like shrimp and asparagus, so I helped myself to an experimental-sized portion. The shrimp was delicious, and the asparagus was delicious, but the jellyfish was kind of like eating... Flavored cartilage. Rubbery and crunchy at the same time.

So, I won't be eating jellyfish anytime again soon, but I feel like I had a thoroughly cultural experience, which is, I suppose, what the professor intended.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.2

No comments:

Post a Comment