Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Cake

I saw this cake recipe in my latest issue of Taste of Home, and I decided to try it out for 4th of July.

It's a crepe cake, so you make the layers in a pan, just like a crepe or a pancake. It took probably just about as much time to make as a regular cake, but it definitely took more effort because you have to man frying pan the whole time, instead of just pouring the batter into a cake pan and sticking it in the oven. It was fun, though, and I'm glad I tried it.


Here's the recipe. It is supposed to make enough crepes and frosting for two small cakes, but I used a bit more batter for each crepe so I would have one cake that was a bit larger, and I ended up having extra batter left over, but that was fine since it allowed for mess-ups. I also added in a modification that I would do next time, which is adding a bit of extra baking powder. The layers I made turned out flatter than the original picture of the cake in the magazine, so I think a bit of extra baking powder would do the trick to make them fluffier.

Cake ingredients:

  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) red velvet cake mix

  • 2-3/4 cups whole milk

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder

  • 3 eggs

  • 3 egg yolks

  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract




  • Frosting ingredients:

  • 12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature

  • 1 cup butter, softened

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 8 cups confectioners' sugar

  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • Fresh blueberries






  • Directions:
    1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, flour, eggs, egg yolks, butter and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.

    2. Heat a lightly greased 10-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 1/4 cup batter (or 1/3 cup, if you want one bigger cake instead of two smaller cakes) into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 10-15 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.

    3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. 

    4. To assemble two crepe cakes, place one crepe on each of two cake plates. Spread each with one rounded tablespoon frosting to within 1/2 in. of edges. Repeat layers until all crepes are used. Spread remaining frosting over tops and sides of crepe cakes. (Or do this process for just one cake). Garnish with blueberries. 

    If you're up for a fun variation on the traditional cake recipe, try this one out. And as always, if you do try it, let me know what you think!

    Recipe credit: Taste of Home 


    .

     

    2 comments:

    1. New twist on the traditional flag cake! It reminds me of Dad's birthday cake. Did it taste good enough to make again? We tried the cake batter pancakes with cherry chip mix, and they were okay, but everyone LOVED the cornmeal peach ones I made from the Food Network Magazine, with some revisions.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I would definitely try making it again, but with the extra baking powder. In the magazine picture, it looked like each layer was about 1/4"-1/2" thick (and fluffy), but mine turned out very thin, like traditional crepes, and not fluffy. So I think if it was more cake-like, I'd do it again.

      ReplyDelete