I've made the soup many times, and found a few shortcuts to save you time (for example, making it all in one pot, as opposed to using two pots), and a few substitutions to make it a bit more healthy (for example, not using two cups of half n' half).
Sun-Dried Tomato and Tortellini Soup
Time: 30 min.
- 1 package refrigerated cheese tortellini (9-12 oz.- more is better. Sometimes I buy two packs and use all of one and half of the other)
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 c. milk (fat-free, 1%, 2%... anything you normally have on hand)
- 1 c. half n' half
- 1/2 c. chopped or sliced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (I use the TJ's julienne-sliced kind that come in a little glass jar. They're handy because I don't have to slice them myself!)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried basil (or more to taste)
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, stir together tomato soup, veg broth, milk, cream, tomatoes, and all seasonings. Bring to a simmer and add tortellini. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until tortellini is done. Add salt to taste.
That's it!! Stir it all together and let it simmer!
I serve it with crusty garlic bread and a green salad, and it makes a delicious dinner, and the leftovers are equally good warmed up for lunch the next day. I usually make the entire recipe for just the two of us just so we can have leftovers.
If you're not sure what to do with the rest of the jar of sun-dried tomatoes, check back in the next week or so for a sun-dried tomato pesto recipe that's fantastic tossed with pasta or spread on toasted bread for a turkey sandwich. Yum!